Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Best of...Craig Lopus's Top Red Wines


Last week, I featured my friend Craig's top 12 books of all time. In the process of introducing him, I mentioned that he quit Corporate America a few years ago and started his own wine store, called Tim's Wine Market in Windermere FL. As Craig would tell you, he and I had numerous ponderings on what he should do when he grows up, and in my mind, he was born for one thing...to sell wine. I have never known anyone more passionate and excitable over that liquid nectar (even me). Anyway, I digress. As a result of my post last week, several commenters mentioned that they would greatly benefit from a top 10 list of reds and whites, all reasonably priced, thank you. And my friend has risen to the challenge yet again! Just a slight diversion from reading, I hope you won't mind (although might I suggest a nice glass of pinot while reading this evening?). This week, we are featuring the reds:


Hob Nob, Pinot Noir (France) $11



Mark West, Pinot Noir (California) $10



Tierra de Luna, Syrah and Malbec (Argentina) $8



Altos Las Hormigas, Malbec (Argentina) $11



Layer Cake, Malbed (Argentina) $16



Avalon, Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa) $15




Dante, Cabernet Sauvignon (California) $10




Arnold Palmer, Cabernet Cauvignon (Napa) $12



Lady in Red, Red Blend (Washington State) $12




Hey Mambo, Red Blend (California) $11





Come back next Sunday for Craig's top whites!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I wasnt expecting this on your blog Sandy but how fabulous. I am going to keep my eyes peeled for some of these as sometimes a nice glass of something is perfect while you are relaxing and reading.

Beth F said...

Thank you Craig!!!! Great list. Although I'm allergic to reds, Mr. BFR is not and he'll be sipping his way through the list!

Super.

Darlene said...

Wow, this is great. I can't drink a lot of red wine as I get migraines from it but I can't wait for the white list although I wonder if any of these are available here in Canada. We have a lot of wonderful wine from British Columbia here so that's usually what I buy but it's always good to hear about new choices.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

This looks like a great list! But for us, it would be in the "special night" category. For a red, we actually have been drinking the Wal-mart Cabernet (brand is cleverly not called Walmart but Oak Leaf) for under $3!!! I figured since Oprah endorsed it, what could be bad?!!!

Unknown said...

Great list! It is good to diversify a bit. I enjoy a glass of wine, but couldn't come up with a list of any kind. It must be great to have someone so knowegable around to guide you in these things.

Frances said...

Now we're talking. The Mark West pinot is a staple house wine around here so absolutely on that one. Have tried a couple of others listed and enjoyed them and now have some new labels to look for. Have you tried the McManis Petite Sirah? Yummm!

Susan said...

This is great! I'm always looking for recommendations for reasonably priced wine. Can't wait to try a few of these.

For those allergic to reds, or who get headaches, have you tried organic wines? They are much easier to tolerate.

caite said...

I will have to look for some of those next time I go wine buying. I love that they are all of a moderate price.

will be waiting for the white....

Andreea said...

Great, now I want wine, but since I'm pregnant, I'm not allowed to have any:(

ds said...

Many thanks, Sandy and Craig!! Mark West sounds familiar, but Mr. L-S is the label-rememberer. Haven't done any Argentinian wines. And all within budget! What fun.

Unknown said...

I think it's fantastic that your friend, Craig, had the courage to quit corporate america and follow his heart! It's so good to be happy at your job, which we spend more than half physically, mentally and spiritually our life doing. I really like wine though I don't drink it a lot and I'm thrilled to "know" of somewhere I can go when I have questions about wine or want to know what I'm drining or buying. You are very lucky { =o) } to have Craig as a friend and Good,Good Luck to him in this wonderful endeavor!

An aside: I have been seeing your picture and comments on a lot of the blogs I've been visiting and commenting on and I realized that I didn't know your blog so I dropped by to say hi! and I'm so glad that I did.
Take care Sandy!

Nikola said...

Mmm, fab! You got my mouth watering!

Melody said...

I'm not a wine person myself, but it's good to know more about wines so I'd know what to give to friends as a gift. ;)

The Bumbles said...

I like this "Craig's List" feature! FYI, that Canadian selection of red I promised is on its way to you tomorrow ;0)

Park Avenue Princess said...

Sandy, I found your blog though someone else's to be honest and I wish I knew who..

Anyway, I'm SO glad I found you! That Layer Cake is calling my name and I LOVE red wine! Yummy! I like to spoil myself at least once a week with a long hot bubble bath, a glass of wine and my favorite book that week...candles and alone time! THE BEST!

Thanks so much and feel free to stop by my blog anytime and say hello!

xoxo Amy (Park-Avenue Princess)

Serena said...

What a great list. I really love
Dante, Cabernet Sauvignon (California) $10!

I can vouch for that one personally. Will there be a Top White Wines List??