Saturday, January 16, 2010

Any Gardeners Out There?


Confession: Despite the fact that I live in Florida, where plants grow of their own free will, whether you want them to or not, I have a black thumb. And I really don't have much initiative to change that fatal flaw in myself, until I look at my friend Kim's pictures (this beautiful bougainvillea to your left is one such beauty).

Kim and I went to college together. And not until I discovered the joys of Facebook did I even know what had become of her. But, as FB is wont to do, we found each other. In fact, she lives just a handful of hours south of me. The first thing that came to mind when I was reacquainted with Kim was...she is one of those rare people who looks ten times better now, in her forties, than she did in college (not that she looked bad in college). Wow! The second thing was...this girl is one amazing gardener!

Well, I was excited to discover that Kim has recently joined the world of blogging, in the area of her greatest passion - gardening. Her blog is named Garden in Paradise. I am following her, if only to be inspired and see what she is up to. Go check her out and welcome her to the fray!


By the way, Kim is also an avid reader, and participates in the 100 Mile Fitness Challenge. Who knows, maybe we can persuade her to do a book review or two!

19 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I'm with you on the black thumb. I don't even know the names of the plants that everyone else does. I took a look at Kim's blog and it's great.

Julie P. said...

I was going to type the exact same thing as Kathy -- I'm with you on the black thumb! Too funny. I guess great minds think alike.

Harvee said...

Would you believe I have a garden blog as well, Wood Water Garden, but I neglect it terribly! Hope to do better this year. Welcome to your friend!

Molly said...

I joke and tell people that I can kill a silk plant - so gardening is definitely not for me! I don't even like my husband to bring me flowers (I would rather have something far more practical - like filling my car with gas).

Trisha said...

Plants commit suicide when they see me coming, so I completely understand. I love looking at them, think they are beautiful, and yet no luck with them inside or outside my house. To make matters worse, my husband is a farmer, so you'd think I'd get inspiration and help from him, but alas no such luck.

Beth F said...

My gardens take care of themselves: herbs, wildflowers, bulbs . . . Easy as can be.

Kaye said...

Hmm. . . I'm probably the only person on the planet known to kill a cactus!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I can't believe Molly's comment because I actually HAVE killed a silk plant! :--) And as for the real ones - well, it goes without saying!

Jackie (Farm Lane Books) said...

I'm lucky that the people who lived in my house before me were great gardeners, so mine is now filled with mature plants that need very little looking after. I cut the grass and dig up the odd weed, but otherwise it looks after itself - which is good as I'm not a very good gardener either!

Michele said...

I'm a bit of a gardener (altho not always successful), but I love to see what grows in different parts of the country. Thanks for the link!

Kimberly said...

Sandy, I am so touched that you dedicated an entire post to me and my blog! And you said such sweet things about me! WOW!!! Thank you sooooo much for your kind words and for sharing my blog with all your friends! You're the one who introduced me to the blogging world...I didn't even have an account to officially follow you for quite some time! But now, I'm addicted!
And Kaye, I have actually killed a cactus...poor little thing!

Amy said...

How nice! I too am in serious need of gardening tips!

ds said...

Having no real "garden" space, I put herbs out on the deck in pots. They have been very patient with me so far, but few have ever survived a winter...
Best of luck to your friend with her new blog. That is one gorgeous bougainvillea!!

Melody said...

I've a black thumb too, LOL. I think I can only plant cactus because they can pretty take care of themselves without too much hassle!

Alice said...

I'm with you too! I'm hopeless with plants...

caite said...

I like to have a veggie garden in the summer. I am not great at it, but I get a childish delight in picking and eating things I grew.

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

Thanks for introducing us to Kim, Sandy! And, Kim, if that bougainvillea is any indication, you've got talent in the garden AND behind the lens of a camera - gorgeous shot!

Serena said...

Thanks for the intro post to Kim! I have horrible luck with plants, but I think its shear laziness and apartment living. I'd like to think if we had our own house, I would be more apt to garden.

Amused said...

I love to do 'indoor gardens' does that count? Living in SF doesnt allow for a lot of outdoor space but we have lots of indoor plants. I love reading blogs about people who have the space though to inspire me for my 'someday'. Thanks for the tip!