Saturday, January 9, 2010

DNF: Blind Willow/Sleeping Woman - Haruki Murakami (audio)


I might set aside three of four books a year, so I am distraught, number 1, that I found my first DNF three days into the year, and number 2, that it is a Murakami book. It is my first fictional read by Murakami. However, I just finished his memoir "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running" recently and loved it (review coming Jan. 21). What went wrong? Here is my theory.

I was listening to this collection of short stories on audio. I've never listened to this genre on audio, and questioned myself initially when I ordered the discs from the library. But I'm always open to try new things - what did I have to lose but a little time? Perhaps the short story (at least ones like Murakami's) need to be digested slowly, with the ability to flip back and re-read if necessary. I listened to five short stories on a long walk today, and I either understood them but didn't get the point or message, or was completely and utterly confused about what the hell was going on. It was frustrating. I don't want to be frustrated with Murakami - it is just wrong. So I stopped.

I will have to order the hard book from the library. In the meantime, I do have "Kafka on the Shore" on my Kindle, and "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles" on my TBR shelves. I've learned my lesson, and will move forward accordingly!








16 comments:

Book Bird Dog said...

Sorry about the Murakami discs. He has to be read and reread slowly, so a disc that moves forward only I can understand wouldn't work.

By the way, what is a DNF?

Julie P. said...

Things will look up! I probably wouldn't be able to finish either.

JoAnn said...

Haven't read Murakami (yet), but I have this notion that he may not be an 'audiobook' kind of author... at least for me.

bermudaonion said...

Some books just don't translate well to audio. I hope you enjoy the print version more.

Matt said...

I think the more I read everyone's post, the more fully my resolution of the year forms. I *need* to read Marakami! I've been saying it for so long. He will be on my reading list!

Jackie (Farm Lane Books) said...

I haven't read this one, but I can't imagine any Murakami being good on audio. I recommend you try Kafka on the Shore next - I loved it!

Nymeth said...

Aw, I'm sorry this didn't work for you, Sandy. Though I love Murakami, I've yet to try this book. I loved the other two you have, though, so I hope you'll enjoy those more!

caite said...

I can't listen to anything on audio because I have the concentration of a fruit fly...

I did get 'Kafka on the Shore' because I heard such great things about it. Sadly, it went back unread, not due to the fault of the book. I was pressed for time and forgot to renew it. I will have to try it again

ds said...

I'm sorry that you didn't care for this one, Sandy, but I think you're right that the format was against you. Murakami is a writer who requires savoring and occasional re-reading and a CD just doesn't allow that. There is also no law that says you are required to like him!
Keep on keepin' on...

Melody said...

I bought this book at a booksale and it's been sitting on my pile for some time!

I agree Murakami's books need to be digested slowly, and then of course listening to audio can be so different from reading a book.

I look forward to reading "Kafka on the Shore" and "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles" soon!

Iliana said...

Oh no already a DNF? Well, don't feel bad. You know, I'm reading a Murakami book of short stories right now and I cannot imagine listening to it. I think there is something to being able to go back and re-read a page or paragraph.

Zibilee said...

Sorry to hear that this choice of format didn't work for you. I have never read any Murakami, but I have heard wonderful things about his books, so I will have to give one of them a try. I hope you are able to enjoy the book in the printed version much better!

Alice Teh said...

Sorry that this book didn't work for you. I hope that when you get to the hardcopy, it will be much better for you.

I've read his memoir on running and loved it. I also like his novel AFTER DARK.

Beth F said...

I think you might be right about this one being better in print. I'll take your advice to read and not listen.

Melissa - Shhh I'm Reading said...

There are some books that really do work best in print form. Sounds like this is one of them!

pippi said...

Try the wind-up bird, it is a great listen.