Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sunday Salon: A Walking Fool


Happy Sunday friends! Well, we started out the week on a great note. A day off from school on MLK day, and the kids and I decided to brave the crowds and do a few rollercoasters at Universal. There is no pick-me-up quite like it! Not only is there a new coaster (where you get to select the music you want blasting into your ears while you ride), but we got to see the progress made on the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, which should be opening sometime this spring. We are so excited we can't stand it! We left Universal and went to see The Lovely Bones with my parents. It was a pretty good "don't talk to strangers or weird neighbors" lesson for the kids, and it was cinematically artistic but strayed pretty far from the book. And it completely freaked out my dad. He no likey.

It was another good exercising week. With the exception of one rainy day, the weather was beautiful and I was a walking fool. It's not all that difficult when you have excellent audio books in your ears! I have accumulated almost 80 miles in three weeks, so that 100 mile challenge should be history by the end of next week. This also was the last week of the Game On diet, and trust me folks, I AM READY! I intend to continue many of the rules in order to get down to a bathing suit weight before my trip to Hawaii in early March, but perhaps not with quite as much deprivation. I will publish a wrap-up post once I have final points!

It was a good week for books as well. After finishing "Brooklyn" (which, by the way, held my interest but made me infuriated with the ending!), I picked up the YA book "Life As We Knew It" by Susan Beth Pfeffer. I'd rented it from the library and my daughter had already read it, and she'd been asking me daily to PLEASE hurry up and read it. She needed to talk about it! Now I know why...apocalyptic stories are never easy. I finished that book a couple nights ago and now am trying to finish the YA book "Ghost in the Machine" by Patrick Carman, a sequel to the much-loved "Skeleton Creek". I started reading it to the kids last September, and they really had no interest in it whatsoever. It was like pulling teeth to get them to sit still to listen. Not a good sign for a book. So I'm finishing it by myself and getting it off my kitchen table already.

And as for my ear candy "The Girl Who Played With Fire"? Yeah baby! This is what I'm talking about! Some may not care for the late great Stieg Larsson, but personally, these stories are like crack to me, and are a perfect example of what thrillers should be. I didn't want it to end, and now I have to wait until May to get my hands on the third and final book, which is maddening. It almost sends me into a fit of depression to know that because of Larsson's untimely death, I only have one more adventure with Lisbeth Salander. ANYWAY. I'll move on here. After finishing that audio, I picked up Agassi's memoir "Open" which I am loving immensely.


I'm looking forward to a nice romp on the elliptical here shortly, and a pleasant day of watching my son play football. What's on your agenda today?



23 comments:

Julie P. said...

I'm still waiting for OPEN! I think your description of Larson's book as crack is perfect!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

80 miles is amazing. I'm sure you will look lovely in Hawaii! And you know they wear leis on top and skirts on the bottom; that hides a lot of sins! :-)

How cute about your daughter; some nag their mothers over sharing clothes; it's great to hear about nagging over books!

Beth F said...

I'm addicted to Larssen too but I'm waiting for the second book -- maybe in February. I'll be so sad when I finish the third book.

bermudaonion said...

I love that your daughter was anxious for you to read a book so the two of you could talk about it!!

Keep up the good work with your walking!

Unknown said...

We're off to the mall to buy some clothes for work. Then I hope to spend an hour or two in my studio making some art. I'll do some reading later. I did bring home a stack of papers to grade like almost every weekend. But I'm not going to do them like almost every weekend.

Molly said...

You are indeed a walking fool! You inspire me :)

I hope to get to Orlando one of the years and visit all the amazing attractions. I am jealous that they are in your backyard (so to speak).

Ok -- I have had Larssen on my TBR list for quite sometime, but you have now convinced me that I should not wait another minute to read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Have a great week --- and best of luck completing the Game On Diet with gusto!!

Lisa said...

I was wondering if The Lovely Bones stayed true to the book. I had thought I would reread it before I went to the movie but it sounds like I might be better off if the details are not fresh in my head if I go.

Trisha said...

I have never heard someone say audiobooks were like crack, but that's awesome. And I think I may have to dislike you for the next three minutes because of the 80 miles. I'm at 15...15 measly miles. So very very sad.

JoAnn said...

80 miles already?? Truly amazing!
And I must be going a little soft in the brain... I loved Brooklyn, remember feeling somewhat disappointed with the ending, but can't for the life of me remember what happened!

Michelle said...

80 miles and we are entering the fourth week of the month?! That is phenomenal! Keep up the great work!

I love how your daughter was anxious for you to finish a book so that she could discuss it with you. It's such a great sign of your relationship.

I haven't read the first Larssen book yet, but it is on my TBR pile. Perhaps I need to move it closer to the top?

Ti said...

You were always good with the exercise but you really are a walking fool now!

I like your description of The Girl Who Played with Fire. It is crack. I cannot wait to read book three.

I got out to walk today. It was gorgeous but the rain is coming again although I don't think there will be any huge storms this time.

Anonymous said...

Infuriated? I think Brooklyn is the dullest of all Toibin's novels.

Anonymous said...

I read Brooklyn this past week. I wasn't expecting the main character to be such a mouse...it was like she just let people talk her into every major life decision. Aargh.

Melody said...

The trip to Universal sound so exciting!

Speaking of Stieg Larsson, I need to read his books soon! I know, I'm so way behind!

Keep it up on the mile challenge!

Iliana said...

Oh Sandy, maybe I need to get audio books for the treadmill! I'm still wanting to give them a go. I just can't believe I can't listen to a story! haha...

And, so true about the Larssen books. I can't wait for the third one to come out this summer!

Gavin said...

You are doing so well with the exercise regimen! And you didn't like the ending of Brooklyn? Now I'm really curious. Have a great week.

Unknown said...

I'm very impressed with how far you've walked! Keep up the good work!

I've just read your comment on CBJames blog and thought I should apologise. I am the fussiest reader in the world, so please don't take offense when I don't like something you love. I hope you enjoy the rest of the Larssen series - it is my loss *walks away apologetically*

Serena said...

I want to read OPEN! But I may get that from the library.

Sounds like a busy week!

Jen - devourer of books said...

Sounds like things are just going well in general, hooray for that!

And good for you for being such a walking fool.

The Bumbles said...

That is very cool that your daughter needed not only to TALK about that book - but that she needed to talk to YOU.

That Larrson book is one nominated for February's group read in one of my Goodread groups. I'm thinking that if it wins I'll read along for that discussion.

Did you enjoy the Lovely Bones movie vs. the book? I am curious to compare and contrast.

Zibilee said...

Wow Sandy! You walk a heck of a lot! I only manage to do about three and a half miles a day, and some of that is on the Wii. I know you live in Orlando, so my question is, when do you find a good time to walk when the temperature is bearable? I am not an early riser and usually try to walk in the early evening, but even with the cooler weather it sometimes is still to hot for me to do it in the afternoon. I am so impressed that you have gotten so many miles under your belt! If you have any tips for me, please pass them along!

My husband and I also saw The Lovely Bones last weekend. It was very different than the book, and I am still not sure if I liked it or disliked it. It was a pretty compelling story, but also a little creepy. I felt that the movie never really delineated the difference between the inbetween and heaven...they both seemed the same to me. Ok, I have rambled enough, I hope you have a great week!

Darlene said...

Oh man, I'd love to visit the Harry Potter World. I bet it's going to be awesome.

I'd still like to read Pfeffer's books. They sound really good. Still on the shelf with Larsson's books - maybe some day.

Hope your week is going well Sandy.

Alice said...

You're doing fabulously well with your challenge!

I have both of Larsson's books and shame on me, I haven't read them. :(