Sunday, February 14, 2010

Monday Movie Meme - Old Man Winter


This week's Monday Movie Meme, hosted by the Bumbles, is all about...winter? No romantic theme? Just when you think you've got Molly and Andy figured out, they pull the rug out from under you. *sigh* And I had my romantic movies all figured out!

However, I did hear on the news yesterday that 49 states had snow. It has been one heck of a winter, worse for some than others. I know down here in Florida, even, we have broken all the records and are officially having the coldest winter in recorded history. So I guess this theme makes sense...sorta.

The Bumbles have listed some great winterish movies, all of them rather bleak. I'm going to ride this one out, and see if I can find a happy, wintery movie...

1. Fargo - I know the Bumbles listed this one, but I actually wrote it down before I saw their list. One of the best Cohen brother movies of all time. Maybe even just plain best movies of all time. Worthy of a viewing at least annually. Amazing how the phrases "this is my deal", "go bears!" or "ya, you betcha" just never get old.

2. Stalingrad - Not yer date movie, that is for sure. But it is a fantastic depiction of the Battle of Stalingrad in WWII, from the viewpoint of German troops. I get the shivers just thinking about it.

3. Dr. Zhivago - Love during the Russian Bolshevik Revolution baby! I adore this epic, not only for the plot, the actors and the backdrop of the severe Russian climate, but the haunting soundtrack composed by Maurice Jarre.

4. Reds - I know, enough of the Russian stuff, already! Russia is cold, what can I say? I think I read somewhere that this was the last movie made with an official intermission. Warren Beatty and Diane Keaton and Jack Nicholson? The passion of the Bolshevik Revolution? This is good stuff, you just need a few nights to get through the darned thing. At least for old farts like us.

5. The Shining - yes, another one that was listed by Molly and Andy, but either way, this is as good as it gets with King cinema and horror. I love this movie, and it would be in bad taste if it didn't end up here on my list.

And for people who prefer not to sink into a fit of depression after watching their movies:

6. While You Were Sleeping - ah yes, Chicago in the winter. Nothing colder than that. This movie warms me black heart though, with cute little Sandra Bullock and dude-ish Bill Pullman.

7. Christmas Vacation - well, you knew it was coming. And why not? You expect it of me, after all.

8. March of the Penguins - I suppose it could be a buzz kill when some of the eggs roll out from under the male penguins floppy bellies and die, but overall these little guys are pretty cute and would fall in the "feel good" category.


So there ya go. Not much love here, I'm sorry. I was ready to blast you with some When Harry Met Sally, or Somewhere in Time, but it is not to be. Not this week!



26 comments:

The Bumbles said...

Ah - March of the Penguins. Love that one - mostly happy too! Did you see that You Tube video about the smart penguin who jumped into a Kodiak boat to escape the killer whales chasing him for a snack? That's the way I want all my wildlife clips to end.

Do I have to turn in my movie meme hosting duties if I admit I've never seen Dr. Zhivago? It's going to be a while - I'm imersed in War & Peace so I can only enjoy so much Russia at one time ;0)

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Great list Sandy! Fargo drove me nuts as being from Minnesota I was annoyed as how ridiculous they made us look. The Blue Ox bar that is featured in the movie is about 3 miles from my home.

#5,6, and 7 are all movies I really enjoyed as well!

Ana S. said...

I was so disappointed not to like March of the Penguins - I really wanted to, and the visuals were great, but I thought it was a little too feel good, you know? It sugar-coated nature a little too much for me. I'm talking about the French version, though, which was the one we got over here. I'd like to see the one with the Morgan Freeman narration sometimes, as I hear it's much more neutral. One thing for sure: it IS Winter-y!

Lenore Appelhans said...

I can't even think of any other winter movies right now...

Great picks though!

Susan said...

Great list, Sandy! 'Fargo'--one of my all-time favorites...just can't get enough of Frances McDormand and William Macy. Loved her in 'Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day'

'Dr. Zhivago' was my second date with my DH. On the big screen. I even read the book. Not as hard to read as Tolstoy.

Loved 'Reds' and it definitely needed the intermission! And you know I love, love, love 'While You Were Sleeping'. Sandy and Bill had real chemistry in that movie.

bermudaonion said...

Of all the movies you listed, I've only seen Christmas Vacation. I wonder what that says about me.

Beth F said...

All great choices! And Semilia's (sp???) Sense of Snow. (Sorry I'm too lazy to go look up the spelling)

Anonymous said...

Yes, Fargo -- a favourite of course ;) Gotta love Frances McDormand! :)

The Shining didn't impress me that much (except for the psychedelic flooring of the hotel ;) and I'm afraid I haven't seen the rest of your list. Oops, of course I saw Dr. Zhivago... but I can't remember anything else than Mr O'connery's face ;)

My winter recommendations are up too!

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Great list of movies. Have seen March of the Penguins, but it is on my list of movies to catch up on. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Sherrie's Stuff

Julie P. said...

How appropriate! I should try to get my hands on a few of these because we are expecting even more snow today.

caite said...

what does it say about me that my favorite scene from Fargo is the one with the wood chipper? :-q

Heather said...

Morning Sandy! You have some good selections here, including one that made my list. I have not seen Reds, but it reminded me of another movie with winter scenes, Red Dawn.

ds said...

Fargo, yes!! Dr. Zhivago (how I love those crystals on the window, the big sledge, etc. etc.). Totally forgot about Reds--thanks for the reminder. Wonderful list, Sandy!

ds said...

P.S. And I loved March of the Penguins--the other day a little girl came into the libes looking for penguin books because her (fabulous) teacher had had them imitating penguins: the girls got to run around swimming and eating while the boys had to stand still, keeping an egg on their feet, and huddling...
Lessons everywhere,eh?

The Gal Herself said...

Great choices! As a Chicagoan, the reason why I loved While You Were Sleeping is that it revolved around finding love on the el. Feels like I spend half my life on those trains. If only I could find even a crummy guy to fantasize about ...


PS I guess I may be the only person on the planet who thought March of the Penguins was too raw and real. That fat-assed penguin, the one too old to keep up and died in the snow, actually made me cry. I guess I prefer my penguins to be animated.

Frances said...

Great list! The Shining is still the ultimate creepfest to me. We having stayed at The Stanley in Colorado, the hotel upon which Stephen King based the book, and they play the movie on a continuous feed on a dedicated channel. Watch a bit of that and go on the hotel ghost tour and you'll be packing your bags!

How about Wonder Boys? Love that movie, and it is definitely set in a winter wonderland.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Really great choices! I agree that Russia is the theme to go to for winter movies!

And I agree with Nymeth in being disappointed with March of the Penguins as WELL as Happy Feet - I love penguins, but found both of these movies boring!

Zibilee said...

I don't think I have ever seen any of these movies, except for The Shining, but I am in the mood for some winter movies right about now! I am going to send this list to my husband so he can update our Netflix queue! Thanks for all the great ideas, I'll have to get back to you on what I think of them!

patebooks said...

Dr. Zhivago still makes me shiver from the cold -- Reds, too. But Omar Sharif and Warren Beatty were hot!

Literary Feline said...

Fargo is a good winter movie. I really like While You Were Sleeping. I can watch that one over and over again. March of the Penguins! That's quite a movie.

I asked my husband what movie makes him think of winter and he said Die Hard. Well, it's the right season. LOL

kayerj said...

march of the penguins--good one

and maybe happy feet too!

I almost put "The Empire Strikes Back" It starts out on that frozen planet--but then I thought that's not winter.

Unknown said...

I'm going to way back in time and suggest Charlie Chaplin's The Gold Rush. It's the one where he cooks and eats a shoe and later does the dinner roll dance.

It's very funny, and has lots of snow including a wonderful blizzard sequence that blows his cabin across the ice to the edge of a cliff while he's asleep.

I usually show it to my 7th graders in conjunction with reading The Call of the Wild. They're surprised to find how much the laugh at such and old movie.

Anonymous said...

Dr. Zhivago was on my list too :)

Unknown said...

Great choices, especially While You Were Sleeping and March of the Penguins. I love those!

Lisa said...

Ah the heading "Old Man Winter" immediately made me think of "Grumpy Old Men." All that ice fishing, snowmobiling, and snow angel making.

Kathleen said...

I love that you included Christmas Vacation. I'm not sure that I would have thought of it but it certainly does fit the theme!