Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Reading Between the Wines: Literacy, Wine and Authors...what more can you ask for?


Some of you may or may not have caught one of my earlier posts about this fabulous event that I have become involved with this year. But it is exciting enough to mention it again. After all, we are book bloggers, are we not? And what do we care about more than literacy?

The Adult Literacy League of Orlando hosts an annual fund-raising event in April called "Reading Between the Wines", where there's ample food and vino, of course. Also featured is a silent auction that includes author-signed books, trips, wine baskets, restaurant certificates, etc.

There are two guest authors as well. This year, our guest authors include Gerald Posner, an award-winning author of investigative non-fiction, and Connie May Fowler, whom you MAY have heard about once or twice here on my blog. Did you know that Connie's newest novel "How Clarissa Burden Learned to Fly", released in early April, was chosen by SIBA as an Okra Pick this year? This means that it was one of twelve new southern books that bookstores want to handsell (Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt was chosen as well). I've read Clarissa, and it blew me away. Words cannot even express how excited I will be to meet Connie in person.

Where do I come in? I was asked to collect as many author-signed books as possible for the silent auction. When I first put out the word, I was stunned by the outpouring of help from book bloggers, giving up their personal copies, and authors alike. I am still collecting books for the auction, and will continue to do so until mid-March. If there is anyone out there that can get their hands on anything signed, please let me know!

The event will be held on Friday, April 9th at 6pm at the Downtown Marriott. Tickets are $100 per person. Sponsorships are available as well. For more information, click here. I realize most of you don't live anywhere close to Orlando, but if you are passing through, or want to escape the snow, come on down!







18 comments:

Ana S. said...

What a fantastic event! I think it's awesome, though not surprising, that the book blogging community has been so helpful :D I wish I had something to contribute with, but sadly signings don't abound here :(

JoAnn said...

This is such a great idea for a fund-raiser, and sounds like a lot of fun, too!

bermudaonion said...

I wish I could be there - I know it will be loads of fun!

Molly said...

I just love this idea for a fundraising event for such a worthy cause --- and your dedication to help make it a success! Wish I lived closer :)

Kimberly said...

Great cause! And Bravo for your efforts to support the organization! It sounds like a great event!!

Alyce said...

I can't wait to hear about what a success it is! It sounds like it will be fabulous!

Julie P. said...

Sounds like a great organization! Keep us informed!

caite said...

wine...books...
what am I doing in April?

Kathleen said...

Thanks for the reminder...I will go through my stack one more time and make sure I don't have any author-signed books I can donate. It sounds like it will be a great event for a most worthy cause!

Matt said...

Books and wine would always get my attention. I am excited you're involved with such a worthy cause. I wish I can send you autographed books but all I have are dog-eared trade paperbacks! :)

Legendary Lights said...

Books and wine. Hmmm. A no-brainer! My books will be in the mail to you this week! Wish I could bring them to the event myself...

Pam
http:/beaconstreetbooks.com

Anna said...

I'm not a big fan of wine (gasp!) but this sounds like a great event.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Lenore Appelhans said...

Just drank a glass of wine with dinner :)

Beth F said...

A fabulous event! I'll join you in that wine, but I'll be toasting from afar.

Jenners said...

This just sounds fantastic ... and I can't wait to hear how it goes!

Andreea said...

Thanks for this information!Sounds like a great event!

Alice said...

Love the idea, Sandy! I think you're doing a great thing here. Tell us more!

Serena said...

sounds like a great event.