Sunday, February 7, 2010

Sunday Salon: Demolition and Dust


Good morning everyone! I always thought of myself as a multi-tasker, but I'm quickly learning that I have a hard time efficiently focusing on more than one major project at a time. A month ago it was the Game On Diet...that was all I could think about. Now it is my bathroom renovation. The guys stormed in on Tuesday with saws, jackhammers and sledge hammers and demolished everything in our master bath. (It actually looked like a great form of stress relief!) My husband and I spent one day picking out granite, tile, paint colors and plumbing fixtures. I had to be fairly close at hand to answer questions and make sure they didn't put things in the wrong places. And then there is the DUST. But in another two weeks (ish), I should have my dream bathroom, so it is going to all be worth it!

Because of all the workers boys swarming around my house, I had some issues with the exercise. I did still log in 21 miles, but it wasn't easy, grabbing time early in the morning and at night. I'm still persevering with a modified Game On Diet, with my eye on the prize - a slightly more svelte figure for Hawaii next month.

I feel like I was distracted with reading, but as I look back over the week, I did make some headway. I finished "My Cousin Rachel", which was just a delicious package of suspense and intrigue. I really do love Du Maurier! I also finished another Jacqueline Woodson book, "If You Come Softly", and was, as usual, blown away by this woman. I swear, she is climbing up to that pedestal with Connie May Fowler and Sarah Waters. I started reading "Black Tie Affair" by Sherrill Bodine, who is not only an accomplished author but my mom's high school classmate. I finished David Sedaris' "When You Are Engulfed in Flames" on audio (where has he been all my life?) and have sworn to myself that I will listen to every audio they have of his at my library. I am about halfway through the audio "Sarah's Key", our next book club selection. Not a bad week, I'd say, for all the chaos.

I continue to work hard at getting my hands on author-signed books for our annual "Reading Between the Wines" fund-raising event for the Adult Literacy League. I have been overwhelmed at the generosity of all the authors and bloggers that have kindly donated books for our cause. If any of you are in contact with authors or publishers, I would love it if you could ask them to donate a signed book. I have yet to find one that refuses - who can deny that adult literacy is a worthy cause? Can you imagine a life without reading? I can accept donations until about mid-March, so there is still plenty of time. Just e-mail me at rnawrot@cfl.rr.com and I can give you my address.

So what's up for next week? More dust. Meetings to kick-start planning on the spring book fair. Yard mulching (didn't get to that this week because of rain!). Wood staining on our little foot-bridge outside. A four day school week for the kids. And blogging of course!


27 comments:

Amy said...

Good for you for persevering with a modified Game On Diet! :)

I loved If You Come Softly took, Woodson is truly amazing.

Have a great week, Sandy! xoxo

Unknown said...

I hate dust! We had our kitchen done a couple of years ago and I remember finding dust on everything for weeks. I hope that you get everything sorted and enjoy your wondeful new bathroom.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I was also blown away by If You Come Softly. There is a sequel, Behind You, but I haven't been able to get ahold of it yet. But I agree with Amy; Woodson is truly amazing!

Frances said...

You are so disciplined! If it had been me, I would have been on to the large sandwiches by Day 2 of construction. It can be stressful, and worse yet, difficult to let go of control over your own house. Thank goodness for Sedaris. His books can get you through with your sense of humor intact. You are so right to keep the beautiful new room and Hawaii in your sights. Wishing you the best this week.

Susan said...

One of your weeks is the equivalent of one of my years! Of course, you will put up pictures of your finished bathroom, right?

We're in the early, early stages of planning a master bath reno, kitchen reno and a small addition to include a laundry/mud/office-craft-sewing space. I'm not sure I will live to see it, but there's hope.

Julie P. said...

You have been busy! I can't believe you still got so much accomplished this week!

Booksnyc said...

David Sedaris is great - I am a huge fan! I read a number of his books before I saw him live and then resolved to only listen to him because his delivery is perfect and adds so much to the enjoyment of his books. I recently listened to Live For Your Listening Pleasure - it is a collection of performances from his most recent tour.

Hang in there with the reno!

JoAnn said...

Sarah's Key is our next bookclub selection, too! Started it a few days ago, but am still on the first disk.

A bathroom remodel horror story...
When the guys came to begin demolition, they pulled down the sheetrock, saw the wiring and I overheard one say "Hey John, look at this...can you believe they haven't had a fire??"
Needless to say, we went waaay over budget!

bermudaonion said...

I admire anyone who can live through renovations. We joke that we just move when it's time to renovate or replace. Please post pictures of your new bathroom when it's done!

Beth F said...

Kitchen and bathroom renovations can be stressful. Hand in there and I think my Game On finally got up and went out.

Unknown said...

I say go for Holidays on Ice next. It's not really a Christmassy book, though it takes place during Christmas. In fact, it's a bit anti-Christmas. It's still the best Sedaris audio book.

Sounds like the book auction will be great. I hope you'll post a picture or two.

Kathleen said...

Remodels are such nightmares but at the same time they are so fun! I know you will get through it all with your usual sense of humor! I can't wait to hear what you think about the books you read this week!

ds said...

What's a little dust when it nets you your dream bath ;) I hope it turns out even better than you imagine (maybe the reno guys will take pity on you and clean up a bit at the end--hope springs eternal). I'm in complete agreement with the other Sedaris fans; he can get you through anything.
Have a great week, Sandy.

Darlene said...

Dust drives me nuts but for a dream bathroom I'd live with it! Have a great week!

Alyce said...

The bathroom renovation sounds like it will definitely be worthwhile! Are you going to post before and after photos?

Gavin said...

Dust! Yuck! Woodson is amazing. I read the Locomotion books and have several others on my TBR list. I just finished The Rock And The River by Kekla Magoon. It is wonderful. Have a great week, Sandy.

Iliana said...

Girl, how do you even get to all the books with everything going on! So glad you liked My Cousin Rachel, what a delicious tale right?

I haven't forgotten to look for a book to donate to the cause! I've just been so busy but I promise to look for one soon and see if I can donate.

Melody said...

I'm impressed that you're doing well with your Game On Diet and reading despite the renovations (and on top of that your normal routine), Sandy!

Can't wait to read those reviews soon!

Jenners said...

May the Gods of Renovations smile upon you and may the bathroom be done on time!!!

And I just won a copy of "Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt" that was signed by the author. I'll try to read it pretty soon and send it to you!!!! I thought you were done with that but I bet I can get it to you by March.

Jenners said...

And oh yeah ... David Sedaris is GREAT! You need to read "Me Talk Pretty One Day" soon!

Unknown said...

I've just had my bathroom renovated too! As long as I have a second bathroom for all that peeing on "The Game On Diet"!!! Az Ferguson - Co-Author of "The Game On Diet.

Alice said...

If only I can be as disciplined as you, Sandy. I am trying hard to be but I can't seem to find the time to slot everything in. I need to seriously sit down and re-think what I do every day.

patebooks said...

Lisa Warren sent me to your blog. I hope you'll visit mine, "On a Clear Day I Can Read Forever,'' http://patebooks.wordpress.com/

I don't have a new Caroline Cousins to donate to auction, but I'll check my stacks!

Cheers, Nancy

Serena said...

Good luck with your renovations and the literacy project.

Pam said...

Awesome work on the continuing with Game On!!!

I will shoot your link around. It's a great project.

Ti said...

The dust that comes from remodeling is unreal isn't it? It gets into everything but you will love your new bathroom when all is said and done.

I am also Game On'ing it (still) and will be for the rest of my darn life. It's okay most days but some days I just want to hunker down to a plate of chili fries or something equally bad.

Zibilee said...

I'm impressed that even though you are in the middle of a bathroom meltdown, you are still able to get so much reading done! And I don't think I would like to be exercising with all those construction men around either, so I think you are probably making a wise decision to do it at other times. I hope your renovation continues to go smoothly and that you are ready for swimsuit season!