Monday, May 3, 2010

Monday Movie Meme - Party Animals


Today's Monday Movie Meme from the Bumbles is all about partying. It isn't hard to get into this theme, with the weather getting warm (ha! it has been over 90 in Florida), and everyone is firing up their barbecues and perfecting their margarita recipes. What about in the movies? Here are a few that came to mind, some obvious but must not be ignored, and others that required a little more pondering:

1. Animal House - Without a doubt, this is the quintessential partying movie. Total excess, gluttony and bad behavior. I mean, this movie gifted us with the toga party and dancing to "Shout", right? I'm sure it will be on everyone's list today, but I would be remiss if I didn't mention it!

2. Bachelor Party - Another repeat from the Bumbles, I'm sorry, but I think I've seen this movie a couple dozen times back in college. It's hard to believe that Tom Hanks has come so far!

3. Say Anything - For all of you Lloyd lovers, I'm sure you will remember the graduation party where everything started to gel. *sigh*

4. Eyes Wide Shut - This was quite a disturbing sort of party, but one that I will likely never forget. Woo boy.

5. Boogie Nights - While we are on the topic of disturbing, this was one New Year's Eve party the attendees will remember for the rest of their lives.

6. City of God - Not your likely party movie, I will admit, but in the midst of a dark life these children will likely never survive, they celebrate in a festive street party. I think it might have been the only tiny ray of sunshine in an otherwise traumatic film.

Which party films are your favorites, or are memorable? Let's hear 'em!


19 comments:

JoAnn said...

Without a doubt... Animal House!

bermudaonion said...

You've put me in the mood to watch Animal House! Toga! Toga! Toga!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I think my favorite party films are about wedding parties, which really makes them wedding films, I suppose, and then they wouldn't count!

Zibilee said...

I totally agree with Animal House and Bachelor Party. I am also a huge Lloyd lover and think that the party scene was just the best. I particularly liked Mimi's ballad to Joe. I haven't yet seen City of God, but now I realize it's definitely one to put on the list. Great choices Sandy! I just love these movie meme's!!

Cathy said...

Squirm! We watched Boogie Nights with our 16 year-old-daughter and her then-boyfriend, a local preacher's son. I think we were all red-faced at the end. No booze to take the edge off our mutual embarrassment.

Kathleen said...

Animal House definitely has to top the list of movies with great party scenes in them!

Alyce said...

The only one I've seen on your list is Animal House. The funny thing is that even before I saw that it was on your list, when I saw "Party Animals" in the title of your post, I already had the song running through my head. "A little bit softer now, a little bit softer now..." :)

Iliana said...

Where have I been?! I've only seen "Say Anything" from your list :)

I'm trying to think of other "party" films but like Rhapsodyinbooks, the only ones I can come up with are also about weddings.

Ana S. said...

City of God WAS traumatic, but I thought it was amazing. The way the narrative was structured in particular really impressed me.

Trisha said...

Eyes Wide Shut definitely takes the cake on creepy party scene. You know, I don't think I've ever seen that movie from beginning to end, but I've seen that damn party scene probably 3 or 4 times!?!

Literary Feline said...

I'm drawing such a blank for this category. Terrible, terrible. Of those you list, I've only seen Say Anything and City of God, but I remember so little about them.

The Bumbles said...

Ah you know my weakness for Lloyd Dobbler. The whole key master bit always made me laugh. And the ode to Joe ballad too of course.

Penelope said...

Would The Big Chill be considered a party or more of a really long dysfunctional reunion? Eyes Wide Shut always makes me laugh because it is so bizarre. I'm with Trisha--never seen the whole thing.Fidelio!

Lisa said...

I don't think there has ever been a party seen in a movie that had quite the effect that the toga party scene from Animal House did. After that movie, I think I went to a toga party every other weekend. And sang "Shout!"

Anonymous said...

I didn't/don't have time to write a bumbles post but my fav party movies are Babette's Feast, Festen and 8 Femmes... Not really films in a festive spirit, what does that say about me? LOL

Well, maybe I could add Grease for it's final scene? :)

I don't think I have seen any of your party flicks (although like any movie fan I have heard of 4-6).

Danette Haworth said...

At first, I wrongly remembered Say Anything as the movie with "I want my TWO DOLLARS!" But that's Better Off Dead.

I love John Cusack!

Susan said...

Eyes Wide Shut definitely had my eyes wide open and took congenial partying to a new and extremely disturbing level. I think it was Tom Cruise's "jump-the-shark" movie. Freaky.

Breakfast at Tiffany's has one of my favorite party scenes. Gosford Park is wonderful.

Heidenkind said...

No Weekend At Bernie's?? I'm shocked!

Alice said...

OK... I don't think I've watched any of the ones you mentioned here. Animal House sounds like it's the favorite here. LOL