Saturday, May 1, 2010

Wants and needs

My kids are always lecturing me on the difference between wants and needs. So I think I'm pretty clear, and muse on the concept often when I am perusing book recommendations from my bloggy friends, or, for example, my latest Bookmarks mag. Really, for me, it is just a case of how much I wiggle around when I think about the potential joy it might bring me. Here are some examples:

Wants - Definition: 60% chance of reading, depending on how my challenges go. Book has caught my attention.


So Much For That - Lionel Shriver. The only thing keeping this book off my "need" list is the fact that it is about the crappy healthcare system in the US, and the effect it has on one couple nearing retirement. I hear alot about crappy healthcare in my house, so I'm not sure I want to read about it. But there is this thing with Shriver's writing that I cannot deny.



Major Pettigrew's Last Stand - Helen Simonson. An endearing love story between widow and widower, a shared passion for literature, faith in the power of kindness. I need these to pull me back up out of the muck now and again.






The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Rebecca Skloot.
Impoverished young African-American woman is admitted into the hospital for cervical cancer, and without her knowledge, tissue is removed for experimentation. Years later, this tissue has been instrumental in modern medical research, yet the donor suffered, died and was buried in an unmarked grave, and her descendants live a life of poverty. Nothing like controversy to get my blood boiling.



Needs - Definition: These are sure things, baby. Right at the top of Maslow's Hierarchy. Maximum wiggling with anticipation.


The Prince of Mist - Carlos Ruiz Zafon. This author will forever have a spot in my heart after bestowing upon me The Shadow of the Wind. He is granted permanent immunity from anything ridiculous he might write in the future. This is a YA novel about hauntings, sunken ships and an enchanted stone garden, in the hands of a master. Bring it on.





The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest - Stieg Larsson
. I don't believe I need to explain myself on this one. #3 in line for the audio, whenever it arrives at the local library. Then I shall lock myself in the closet for a couple of weeks.








61 Hours - Lee Child. I have a long-term and very loyal relationship with Mr. Child and Jack Reacher, the ultimate dude in this crime thriller series. Reacher finds his wandering self in South Dakota, where there is a meth lab, somebody who needs protecting, certainly some bad guys who need beat up, and a clock ticking down to something ominous. Mr. Child has permanent immunity from slip-ups as well, and would follow him wherever he may go.



The Passage - Justin Cronin. The first of a proposed trilogy (and fast-tracked for the silver screen), and on EW's list of most anticipated summer reads, this one cannot be ignored. We get a post-apocalyptic America with a virus and blood-thirsty vampiric goons and a little girl who might hold the answer to preventing the end of the world as we know it. This will soon be arriving in audio format to my doorstep!



Faithful Place - Tana French. I don't even know what it is about. But anybody who creates such an amazing book as The Likeness is good enough for me anyday. I'm buying what she is selling.













So what say you? Are you with me?

21 comments:

Lenore Appelhans said...

Totally agree with you on Faithful Place and So Much for That. So excited!

And The Passage was amazing!

Julie P. said...

And to think I always have to give that lecture to my kids -- LOL! I need to hear it too. You have quite a list there. I just finished IMMORTAL LIFE and loved it! You NEED it!

Andreea said...

Some of these books are on my wishlist. I want to read them, no, I Need to read them:)

Beth F said...

All of these are on my wish list -- thank god I have no kids to catch me on the wants/needs issue. Mr. BFR leaves me alone, so I can justify anything!!!

bermudaonion said...

I was thinking the same thing as Julie - that's what I used to tell my son! The only one I've read is the Henrietta Lacks book and it gives you a lot to think about!

raych said...

This is what book blogs are for, so I can be all What? Tana French has written a new thing? I must have.

Alyce said...

I think my needs and wants lists would be swapped for your books above, but you do have some nice choices there. :)

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Major Pettigrew is just wonderful. I loved it. (so did my husband)

I have Passages in my pile but I'm kind of waiting on it since it has a June release. But I know some who have read it already have raved about it.

JoAnn said...

Major Pettigrew and Henrietta Lacks would be NEEDS for me!

caite said...

The Hornet's Nest...just saying, read it, loved it, be sure to take food and water into the closet with you.

Iliana said...

I'm with you girlfriend! Aside from The Passage which I hadn't heard of until now (but now on the list!) I want and need all of these books. I read about the Shriver book last night and thought of you!

Carrie K. said...

I started The Passage yesterday - so far, it is made of awesomeness!

The Bumbles said...

I am NOT with you - I really disliked French and Larsson's first books. I know you loved them - as did most others. But I did vote for "Let The Great World Spin" in my Goodreads group's nominations for the last half of this year's reading list. So common ground may soon be found ;0)

Alice said...

I like your classification! I just bought The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest and have two of Lee Child's books in my pile. I want to get 61 Hours too!

Zibilee said...

Ok, I want all of these books now! A few of these were already on my wish list, but the ones that hadn't gotten there yet just made it there after your wonderful and persuasive descriptions! I hope you get a chance to read them all!!

Melody said...

I NEED to get The Passage and Faithful Place! Period. :D

Jenners said...

I know what you mean about wants and needs ... the NEEDS are the ones you actually pay money for and DON'T WAIT for!

Jen - Devourer of Books said...

I haven't read any of your 'needs' and I only even have one of them. I've read two of your wants, though (not the Shriver book, although I have it), and they are both fantastic!

Serena said...

I love the definitions of wants and needs! LOL You made me giggle.

Since this book, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Rebecca Skloot, had been making the rounds, I think that her unmarked grave situation may be improved...I heard on a news program that the hospital, Johns Hopkins (I think) will be helping pay for a headstone for her.

Kathleen said...

I think your kids need to lecture me about wants vs. needs. I'd put all of these on a "needs" list! Hello, my name is Kathleen and I am a bookaholic!

Heidenkind said...

Your kids are lecturing you? That's not right.