Monday Movie Meme is back after a small hiatus! And today, the Bumbles are ruminating over all the transformations that occur when we transition from one year to the next. Vows of turning over a new leaf, losing weight, reading more, or a new outlook on life (at least for a month or two!) is something we all do...changes for the better. The movies are also known for showing major changes in their characters throughout the story, and not always for the better! The Bumbles came up with some great ones. Here are a few that were memorable for me:
1. Allison Reynolds (the basket case) - The Breakfast Club: How much fun is it to see Ally Sheedy go from sort of an emo-looking shaggy dog to a pretty girl, worthy of dating the jock? Do I think she can maintain that look? No! But it is entertaining to watch.
2. Sandy - Grease: You can't deny the power of the black leather pants, after all of those poodle skirts. As a teenager, I thought it was so very cool that Sandy transformed to a bad girl for her boyfriend, but now, if I analyze it, it seems pathetic. I think I'm getting old.
3. Phil - Groundhog Day: Surly, self-absorbed weatherman sees the error of his ways after he has to relive the same awful day over and over again until he gets it right. I never ever tire of watching this one!
4. Jack Torrance - The Shining: OK, I'll grant you that he was a tad creepy even at the beginning of the story, with some latent aggression, but seclusion, those dead twins and room 237 really do a number on him by the end.
5. Rocky and Adrian - Rocky: Another great example of basket case getting pretty for her man, plus Rocky himself no only gets a little bit more buff, but begins to believe in himself.
6. Seth Brundle - The Fly: Not the preferable changes you would wish on your intended. That is some nasty back hair...
Something in the back of my mind tells me I am missing some really obvious ones. What do you think?