Monday, July 25, 2011

Monday Movie Meme - Summertime

A couple of weeks ago, we talked about the heat. Cause we're all dying here.  But this week, the Bumbles are taking a kinder, gentler approach to things.  We're just going to think about summer...sun, sand, camps, and romance.  Molly, being a Bumble with very good taste, chose two of the best summer movies, Jaws and Stand By Me.  But I thought of a few more good ones...

1.  Friday the 13th - totally swear, first thing that came to my mind.  I attended 4H camp every summer of my youth, complete with a lake and cabins and woods.  Once this puppy came out in the theaters, my camp experiences were never quite the same!  Every time a friend of mine would whisper to me "ch-ch-ch-ch-ch hah-hah-hah-hah-hah" I'd freak out and run like my hair was on fire.

2.  Dirty Dancing - every girl watched this and wondered where the Johnny Castle's were when SHE was in summer family camp.  To me this was the perfect summer-romance-coming-of-age movie.  If a clumsy ugly duckling could dance like that and nab the hunky dance instructor, then any of us could.

3.  The Parent Trap - while the rest of these other movies on my list have come up at some previous time, I'm pretty sure I've never talked about The Parent Trap.  This is a deep dark secret from my childhood...I loved this movie.  Not the pre-pubescent Lindsay Lohan version (although that one really isn't bad) but the 1961 Hayley Mills version.  I think I watched it a dozen or two times over the years on the Sunday night Wonderful World of Disney on TV.  Another fun summer camp film.

4.  Say Anything - Lloyd is love.  Deep down inside, I was very judgemental and never really thought Diane Court was worthy.  She was a little too soft and wimpy in my book.  But what a way to spend one's summer, huh?

OK, I'm ready for your ideas.  (James, I know you've got some great classics in your brain - let me have them.) 

    

18 comments:

christina said...

Sandy, I have to admit, the first one that came to my mind was Sleepaway Camp. *sigh* scared the bejeesus out of me and I was ever so thankful that I never went summer camps.

Unknown said...

How about A Summer Place with it's wonderful classic theme. Tab Hunter and Sandra Dee in a star-crossed romance and the immortal line, "Can I kiss you hear in front of God and everybody?"

Actually, I think Friday the 13th is an excellent choice.

Unknown said...

Oh wow, Sandy, you chose some awesome movies! I love Say Anything! And I completely forgot about Dirty Dancing. I also realize I forgto all of the old classics set in summer. Oh well...must be the heat! lol

Teacher/Learner said...

How about Frankie Avalon & Annette Funicello's beach movies? LOL :D

Zibilee said...

Oh, these are all great choices! Say Anything is one of my favorite movies of all time. Lloyd is just such a great character. I also love Dirty Dancing as well.

I recently saw the remake of Friday the Thirteenth and was surprised at how graphic and sexualized it was.

Great list today.

bermudaonion said...

The only one of those movies I've seen is Dirty Dancing and I don't ever want to see it again. When Carl and I dropped Vance off at college (8 hours from home) we went to our hotel room and watched this. It was horrible - we felt like we had just come from a funeral. I always think of that when that movie is mentioned now.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

I love The Parent Trap too (the original) and it always makes me think of summer camp.

Kate @Midnight Book Girl said...

Your picks are pretty perfect! I'd probably add One Crazy Summer because it's possible one of my all time favorite John Cusack movies (and by far my favorite Demi Moore movie other than St. Elmo's Fire).

Marie Cloutier said...

Dirty Dancing is probably the ultimate summer movie! :-) I know what you mean about Diane Court- she's nice and all, but I didn't get any chemistry between the two and John Cusack is just adorable.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I love the Hayley Mills version too - have seen it 8 gazillion times. And Dirty Dancing - just recently rented it yet again. Love that movie!

Nicole said...

Your post is hilarious (mostly the first two movie listings on here) and so upbeat....it's so refreshing to read after a long and rainy day.

Of all the movies listed, I only watched Friday the 13th. I'm not familiar with the last two but have often bypassed watching Dirty Dancing, although it's probably on my rental list. Not necessarily because I want to watch it, but because it's one of those movies that everyone talks about and is such a classic that it seems so uncool to not have watched it, lol.

The Madlab Post

Anonymous said...

Can you believe I've never seen Friday the 13th?!

ds said...

Oh, I loved Hayley Mills! The remake was good (Ms. Lohan was adorable then), but the original is classic. As were Sunday nights with Walt...sigh...thanks for the memories.

Lenore Appelhans said...

Oh yes! Dirty Dancing is the perfect summer movie. How about 500 Days of Summer? It's not about summer the season, but Summer the girl ;)

caite said...

oh my, a young Patrick Swayze, Jennifer Gray with her original nose and a summer in the Catskills..it doesn't get any better.

Care said...

I love Say Anything. Great list.

Kathleen said...

Friday the 13th still scares the crap out of me and I know what is going to happen!

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

Dirty Dancing! Dirty Dancing!

Sigh. I miss Patrick Swayze.