Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Not So Wordless Wednesday: Sopot #1




Sopot is a town on the northern coast of Poland, on the Baltic Sea.  Unlike it's neighbor, Gdansk, which is steeped in history of the ship workers and Solidarity, this town is more of a resort destination.  Sopot's claims to fame is that its wooden pier is the longest in Europe, and is also the home of the Grand Hotel, one of the most luxurious in the country. 

At the center of the action is the beautiful St. George's Church.  Here are a couple of views.  

14 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I love old, historic churches. It looks like the stained glass in that one is gorgeous.

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

oh, me too...I love to just sit inside and look all around me...such a peaceful feeling :)

caite said...

love those windows..

Meg @ write meg! said...

I'm a big fan of old churches, too! We got our fill when we were in England, but this one looks awesome. We have strong Polish roots -- have to get over there someday!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

There is something wonderful about visiting places of worship that people have been visiting for centuries.

Zibilee said...

The perspective of that first photo looking upwards is just wonderful. It makes the building look insanely tall. I also love the second photo as well. It seems like it was a tranquil place.

Karen Harrington said...

I love the stained glass. Sounds like an interesting place to visit.

Literary Feline said...

Such a majestic church!

Beth F said...

How cool. I always visit churches when I'm in Europe.

Pam @iwriteinbooks said...

Wow, this is stunning. Very nice.

ds said...

A beautiful church indeed. Love the stained glass, and the angles you photographed. Thank you.

Melody said...

I love visiting places like this! Great shots!

Alyce said...

That looks beautiful! I bet that stained glass was even more pretty up close.

Darlene said...

I love old churches. They are so beautiful and have such character. I wish more of my city would have stayed with the older buildings but they haven't.