Sunday, May 13, 2012

Sunday Salon: The Mother of All Weeks

 I realize that my Sunday Salons are becoming a bit of a bitch fest for me, and I don't want to ever drag you down with me.  So I am making a concentrated effort to stay positive from here on out.  


But before I do that, I will just say, in general terms, that this week was as bad as I've had for awhile.  Maybe even the worst in years.  Nobody died though, I'm not getting a divorce, and my husband still has his job.  Nothing quite to that extreme.  But several things happened that I'm having a tough time recovering from.  But I will.  Just have to work through it.  And that is all I'm going to say about that.


So. Now that volleyball is over, the kids and I had ample time to spend at Andre's.  Working out is the answer to many problems, mental and physical.  I feel like I can conquer anything after I've done my time at his gym, and my kids feel the same way.  Nothing but positive mojo.  


The 8th grade festivities have begun.  My daughter's class had their all-day retreat on Thursday, followed by Mass and a dinner.  One of the 8th grade parents is the Executive Chef at Red Lobster, so needless to say, we ate well.  We got a sneak peek at the video which the kids have been working on all year.  I shed a tear.  I can't believe that 11 years ago, I walked my little girl into that school for the first time.  She is growing up, and I am proud.  High school scares the living hell out of me, but that is a worry for another day!


Because of my state of mind this week, it was a little bit of a slippery slope on the reading front.  I did finish Lauren Oliver's "Pandemonium", and it did not rock my world the way "Delirium" did.  It picked up its pace for the last hundred pages, but there for awhile, I wasn't sure I would finish.  Now I am lazily making my way through Vivian Swift's "When Wanderers Cease To Roam", a blend of a journal and a sketch book.  It is lovely.  Just what I needed.  


In audio, I finished the most amazing "Heft".  My review will come in a few weeks, but I'll just tell you now to read it.  Better yet, listen to it.  The narration is sublime.  Then I had a quick listen to "Love Among the Chickens" by P.G. Wodehouse.  In any other mood, I would have laughed the whole way through it.  But as it was, I found the humor silly.  I probably shouldn't have even tried to cheer myself up, but go straight for horror!  Ha!  Now I am venturing into "The Scorpio Races" and I'm liking what I am hearing.  Fabulous narration so far.  


I want to take just a second to let you know that a book I reviewed a week ago, "The Rock Hole" by Reavis Wortham, was recently nominated as one of three finalists for The Benjamin Franklin Award, a national juried awards program that recognizes excellence in independent publishing.  I'm so proud.  I'm crossing my fingers for a win!


My husband is out of town, so no big Mother's Day festivities today.  Just church, horse, animal shelter...my normal Sunday routine.  I may be able to talk my kids into carryout so I don't have to cook perhaps!  I want to wish everyone a Happy Mother's Day, and hope it is restful and joyful!





18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day to you Sandy!! I am sorry you had a difficult week. I hope this week gets better. Will I be seeing you on Thursday?

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear that you've had a difficult week - I hope everything improves for you soon. Happy Mothers Day!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Happy Mother's Day to a mother who truly deserves some appreciation and celebration!!!

Unknown said...

I usually avoide comedies and happy stories when I'm feeling down. Nothing depresses me more, when I'm feeling depressed, than reading about happy people and their wonderful lives.

I say, go for the horror!

And I say I hope you have a much better week this week.

And just show up with a bunch of take-out, don't try to talk them into it. No one objects to a big bucket of fried chicken when they find one sitting on the kitchen counter.

Jenny said...

I hope the difficulties you're dealing with resolve themselves soon. =/ But Happy Mother's Day!!

bermudaonion said...

I'm so sorry you had such a lousy week. Call me any time you need to bitch. Carl is heading out of town today, so we celebrated Mother's Day last night. If you made it through middle school, you can do high school - high school is much better than middle school - the hormones settle down.

Carrie K. said...

I'm really sorry your week just plain sucked. I hope things are better soon. (Hugs)

I'm starting Delirium on audio today - a reread before I listen to Pandemonium. Is it still worth reading, even though it's not as awesome as the first?

I've heard really good things about The Scorpio Races - wish my library had that one on audio. I just finished The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella on audio - her books make me laugh.

Here's to a better week next week!

Unknown said...

Happy Mother's Day, Sandy. You certainly deserve it.

I hope you have a better week this week and aren't weighed down by difficult things. Thank goodness not all weeks are like last week, uh?

Heft is on my list and I'm going to checj out The Rock Hole. I hope it wins!

caite said...

Sorry for the sucky week..and you deserve takeout!!

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

I am sorry your week stunk! I hope next week is better. High school is scary at the beginning but it flies by in a second! Really it does! I hope you had a nice Mother's Day and you got your carryout.

raych said...

I LOVE YOUR SUNDAY SALONS. Is the thing. Bitch-fests and all, I eat them up.

Not a small part of which is because I'm all, LOOK AT SANDY DO THINGS, THERE IS LIFE AFTER CHILDREN and then I change the channel because I can't get up because the Thing is napping on me and I daren't move.

Alyce said...

Here's hoping that next week will be easy and full of joyous experiences! And I don't mind at all when you share about the down times because you always share about the good times too - it's just real and I think most everyone can relate to that. Happy Mother's Day to you too!

Beth F said...

I never mind a bitch fest ... bummer that the week was bad.

Happy Mother's Day!

Ti said...

I loved Heft but I read it in book form.

You and I are going through the same 8th grade end of the year stuff. Is your daughter staying in the same school for high school? Wasn't sure it's it was one of those private schools that goes to 12th.

My son is at Six Flags today on yet another field trip!

Jenners said...

Adding HEFT to my Audible queue. I'm miserably out of credits and my library audio book selection sucks (lots and lots and lots of Stephanie Plum and Debbie Macomber).

Sorry to hear your week was so lousy. I feel all bloggers are entitled to bitch if they want to so bitch away if it helps. I'll listen. : )

High school terrifies me too.

Zibilee said...

I know that you've had a hard week, and I am sending you lots of good vibes to conquer all the troublesome irritants in your life. I hope that this next week is better, and thank you for all helpful chats this week. I also wish you a belated Happy Mother's Day, and hope that you had time to enjoy a nice glass of wine with your feet up. You certainly deserve it.

Julie P. said...

I'm so sorry! I'll say a few prayers for you!

The Bumbles said...

Wait - I thought these posts were here for venting? Lists of activities are such a bore - let it all out and feel better. I'm glad Andre gives you that opportunity. Exercise is a charm sometimes. Never let the stress of motherhood or any other responsibility drag you down completely. It's OK to lean on others.