Sunday, May 27, 2012

Sunday Salon: Moving On

I am alive my long-lost friends!  For those of you who own and run blogs, fret not.  I have not abandoned ye.  I have just been simmering in my life for the last week, which didn't release me from it's maw until today.


The kids had finals this week, which really has nothing to do with me except that they are manic and panicked and stressed, which affects the mojo of the house.  Andre workouts were put on hold for them.  I went on a field trip with the 8th graders to Busch Gardens, there was a graduation rehearsal, early dismissals and graduation on Friday.  My parents flew in.  It was my mom's birthday.  I had an annual physical in the middle of it all.  My daughter had to show up at the new high school (along with a couple hundred other students) for a sports physical.  The book list for high school was finalized and the parents immediately flew into a frenzy of black market textbook activity.


My son has one more week of school, but it should be low key.  I assume they will be watching movies and playing games, which always makes me a bit nutty when I think about it.  But at least there will be no middle-of-the-night cramming.    
   
 The graduation ceremony was beautiful, and I found myself thinking about the 11 years my daughter attended this school.  She grew up here.  And now she is moving on.


So suffice it to say, I didn't get much done at all.  My house is a pig sty.  I didn't read much, as I'm sure you will not be surprised.  I did finish "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn and it blew my mind.  Don't even wait for my review at the end of June.  Get your hands on this book NOW.  I also wallowed around in the most gorgeous and charming "Le Road Trip" by Vivian Swift, and I fell in love, head over heels.  I just did start reading Karen White's "Sea Change" but haven't made much headway.  Soon, I hope, if I can just catch up on my sleep.


On audio, I've been listening to "The Lifeboat" in the car and "The Informationist" on the iPod, just like I was last week.  Since I've done no housecleaning or yard work, I've not made a huge amount of progress.  I am hoping for more this next week.
  
One fun thing that we have started (I will blame my mother!) is geocaching.  I first read about this over at Meg's.  There are apps for your phone, where you can get coordinates of little treasures hidden all over the place.  There are hundreds in Orlando alone.  You find them...they are usually hidden in little containers...and leave your name in a log, and sometimes can even leave a treasure of your own in the hidden container.  We have also been on some wild goose chases as well, as seen by my son in a tree here to the left.  The kids think this is the coolest thing since sliced bread.  They are living out their National Treasurer fantasies.


After horseback riding today, we are hoping to take in (finally) The Avengers, followed by a carefully-crafted RELAXING Sunday evening and Memorial day of floating in the pool and barbecuing. I can feel waves of normalcy rolling back in.


     

22 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Oh, how I hated the end of the school year! I'm glad you're almost through with it. I hope you find some quiet, peaceful time soon.

Jenny said...

I'm reading Gone Girl now. Can't wait to finish it and see what it's all about! (I'm probably around pg 75)

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

Busy - but fun! Congratulations to your daughter on graduating and moving up to high school.

We started geocaching on vacation last year, and have done some locally as well. Letter boxing is also fun - similar, but you don't use the phone's GPS (more of "ten paces from the double-trunked elm" type of instructions).

Enjoy some relaxing family time this weekend!

Nise' said...

Congratulations to your daughter and best wishes as she (and you) move on to the next chapter! Have an enjoyable rest of this weekend.

Carrie K. said...

So glad that normal is on the horizon for you! I need some normalcy here, too. :)

Enjoy your relaxing Sunday and Monday - sounds like you need it. :)

Unknown said...

Enjoy your summer. Have some fun before high school.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Your daughter looks beautiful! And you're right - the EW review of Gone Girl was a wow-er! (but maybe spoilerish?)

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

Those last days almost always kill me...I've just mostly rested this past week just to get some semblance of normalcy and sanity back. Here's to hopefully a much more rested week for you this upcoming week! :)

Unknown said...

Congrats to your daughter. She is very lovely.
I hope your life settles down a bit. I'm on a small mission to listen to all the Joshilyn Jackson books, thanks for telling me.
College girls are home, the quiet here is gone.

Unknown said...

I discovered geocaching last year - my kids love it! Do yours have toys to swap or just the thrill of finding them? My boys are getting fussy and get upset if they are small caches with just the log book. I'm running out of larger ones to find now. Will have to go further afield.

Darlene said...

That's a beautiful picture of your daughter Sandy. Time sure does fly and they grow up before you know it. I've been curious about Gone Girl as it does sound good and I think my library has it. I'll have to put a hold on it. Have a great week!

Darlene said...

That's a beautiful picture of your daughter Sandy. Time sure does fly and they grow up before you know it. I've been curious about Gone Girl as it does sound good and I think my library has it. I'll have to put a hold on it. Have a great week!

Zibilee said...

Emma looks so mature and beautiful, and I can just imagine all the emotions running through you having seen her through to graduation. It's been a rather busy and emotional week for you over there, and I can relate. Be well, and get some rest. You deserve it! Also have fun on those treasure hunts!

Anonymous said...

congrats on surviviving happy chaos. something of the same here in SC with family wedding. also read Gone Girl. "sleeping with a spider'' yikes! unreliable narrators great!

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

Geocaching sounds like fun! We have two weeks of craziness here and then school will be done! Sad to think the baby is graduating high school. Congrats to your daughter! She looks beautiful in her gown. I hope this week is much quieter for you!

Jenners said...

As soon as I heard you were reading Gone Girl, I preordered it and am waiting for its arrival on my Kindle patiently. I love her stuff. So freaky and weird.

Love seeing your kids!!! I don't think I'd seen photos of them before. They are lovely as their mom.

And I want to try geocaching.I think my son would lovei t as much as your kids.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

What a busy week! I'm curious to hear a bit about The Lifeboat when you're done with it. That one has been making the buzz rounds on blogs.

natalie @ book line and sinker said...

oh boy, i just started geocaching myself and posted about it a bit ago!! it's such a fun activity (for the spring and fall... as i detest hot weather). :) congrats to the graduate. i was admiring the caps and gowns that came in for my seniors this week and was shocked to realize that 2012 marks 20 years since i graduated high school. hello? what is up with that? i'm still about 17 in my head!!! :)

Ti said...

Congrats to your daughter! My son has two more days to go! Disneyland tomorrow and then the 8th grade BBQ. Poof. Done. Can't believe it.

Marie Cloutier said...

congratulations on your daughter's graduation. and yes i really want to read gone girl and soon!

Julie P. said...

We finish up school next week -- yes the same week that I will be away from home at BEA.

The Bumbles said...

Such a sentimental time for you - I love the photos you shared to reflect the emotions of each instance you describe. Your children are beautiful.