Sunday, November 17, 2013

Sunday Salon: The Apple

 Good morning!  I'm sliding my post in here with a fuzzy head and blurry eyes.  My son and I just flew back into town last night from our field trip to New York City, and our butts are dragging.  They ran us like crazy rats, from morning until night, but we crammed a lot of activity into three days.  We saw the 9/11 memorial, St. Patrick's Cathedral, the Empire State Building observation deck at night, the Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular (wow), the Broadway show "Newsies", Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty.  The kids were also taken on a study tour of the United Nations and Wall Street.  Whew!  Our weather was gorgeous, at least for New York...clear skies and in the 50's.  It was a little bittersweet because this will be the last big field trip for this school, as he heads out to high school next year.

So now we focus on Thanksgiving!  We will be leaving our kitties in the hands of our house-sitter on Saturday and heading up to St. George Island for a week.  I will definitely include some pictures next Sunday.  Turkey on the beach is an amazing thing.

I can't even remember what else I did this week.  Who knows. I read the GN "V for Vendetta" and really enjoyed it.  It wasn't easy reading, as most graphic novels are.  It was complicated and chaotic, but I loved it.  Now my son and I want to watch the movie.  I then started "The Sea of Tranquility" by Katja Millay on the Kindle, which was a MUST READ recommendation from Rhapsody Jill.  I have no choice in these matters, but in this case it was warranted.  I'm about halfway through, and it is soooo good.

On audio I'm still listening to Mo Hayder's "Hanging Hill" (no listening time in NYC).  I should wrap that up in the next day or so.  It is good stuff...all her books are.  But it isn't quite as mind-blowing to me as the Jack Caffrey series.  I'm excited to see how she wraps this one up.

I think today is probably just going to be spent getting my act together for next week.  We're off to church in a minute, then my son has an end-of-the-season football thing and my daughter has to be shuttled to the animal shelter.  I have to think about groceries and a dirty house.  Hope you all have a relaxed Sunday!  


13 comments:

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Wow, I'm so glad I'm not a mom of a kid who has field trips. I would never have the energy!!!

Anonymous said...

Yay for reading Sea of Tranquility! I LOOOOVED that book. I'm heading to St Augustine for the weekend after Thanksgiving so I'm looking forward to some relaxing as well. Enjoy your Sunday. :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an awesome trip! The only field trips I remember from when I was in school were pretty lame.

Unknown said...

Trips to New York wouldn't be quite right if they were quiet! Turkey on the beach sounds amazing - I'll just have to settle for a bit of turkey inside :-) Have a wonderful week!

Ti said...

What a whirlwind trip! Hope you took pics.

I have been buying stuff for Thanksgiving and sampling wines to enjoy with the mean. I am loving the sampling part.

Reading has been slow but I don't care. I just want to watch The Walking Dead and veg out. I hope you watch that show soon because it will blow your mind.

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness) said...

Sounds like a fun trip! The next time I'm in New York I want to go to the 9/11 memorial.

Heidenkind said...

Whenever I go to NYC I mainly just stuff my face with food. Yum yum.

JoAnn said...

I always feel like I need a vacation after a tip to NYC… and Thanksgiving on the beach??? One of these years we'll do that. Enjoy!!

Literary Feline said...

Your visit to New York sounds exhausting, but fun. I have never been to New York City (just upstate New York), and would like to go someday.

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving week! Enjoy your time at the beach. My mom is coming to town for the week (although my husband and I still have to work most of the week).

I hope you have a great week, Sandy!

bermudaonion said...

I'm glad my days of whirlwind field trips are behind me. Carl and I just got back from a couple days in Asheville and I am pooped!

Beth F said...

Sounds like you're ready for a little R&R

Anonymous said...

You need a vacation from your trip. You did manage to cram a lot in. Pre-Gage we took lots of trips to NYC. sigh. Now I guess I have to wait for class trips with Gage :)

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

NYC and V and now Thanksgiving, it's a great month for you!