Sunday, March 16, 2014

Sunday Salon: Girls Weekend

 Happy weekend everyone!  We had a normal week in the Nawrot house, and normal is good.  My parents left to go back to the cold, unforgiving North (from the 80's to the middle of yet another snow storm, go figure), which is a sign that spring is upon us.  Both my son and daughter chose their classes for next year, which is always cause for discussion and debate.  I golfed on Thursday.  Weather was gorgeous.

I just have to make a comment about my daughter's birthday dinner on Sunday night at Victoria and Albert's (at the Grand Floridian Resort at Disney).  Not something you want to do more than once or twice in a lifetime, but it really was incredible.  They wait on you hand and foot, seven courses of taste explosions in your mouth, and they even offer the women cashmere shawls to borrow if it is too chilly.  It is first class, an an event you should try if you can.

We continue the birthday celebration this weekend.  (Trust me, this ongoing extravagance isn't routine, but she DID turn 16.)  She had Friday off, so she and I did some shopping, then went to Downtown Disney and had lunch and saw Frozen.  On Saturday we went to the spa, then spent a night at Disney Caribbean Beach Resort.  Just to get away.  (The boys went to North Florida to see a rodeo and drag racing - woo hoo!).  It was a nice relaxing time, with a few hours by the pool and some good reading.

As far as reading goes, I finished "The Wicked Girls" by Alex Marwood, which I LOVED.  So twisted and full of conflicting emotions!  This book was one of Stephen King's "best books of 2013" and for good reason.  I'm now about a hundred pages into "Wolf", the new Mo Hayder, which was sent to me by the dear Michele Jacobsen of "Reader's Respite" who got her hands on the ARC.  Can't even tell you how damn excited I am to read this.

On audio I listened to "Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore", a charming little book that was made for geeky modern-day bibliophiles.  I am now near the finish of Lippman's latest called "After I'm Gone".  It isn't quite what I was expecting, but is good storytelling.

Besides church and a shelter adoption event today, I'm not sure what else will be going on.  Hope you all have a great Sunday!
  


13 comments:

Trisha said...

I love that you are doing it up big for her 16th birthday; it really is something special and should be treated as such.

JoAnn said...

16 is a big deal and I'm glad you're celebrating in style. Still stuck on the cashmere shawls at Victoria and Albert's though... wow!

bermudaonion said...

Wow, such a fun birthday for your lovely daughter! All Vance wanted for his 16th birthday was his driver's license. Once he got that, he was ready to ditch us. He had to stick around for a little while, though, because my parents and sister made the trip up for a celebratory lunch in his honor. As soon as they left, he did too. :/

Anonymous said...

I love Stephen King's recommendations, although there are many I have yet to read yet. And I will definitely read Mr. Penumbra at some point!

Iliana said...

Your daughter is sure to remember her Sweet Sixteen - what a wonderful celebration!

I saw your FB post of the Mo Hayder book and thought, Sandy is one happy gal! Looking forward to your review :)

Unknown said...

I think birthday celebrations should go on for as long as possible! What a wonderful birthday your daughter has had :-)

Glad to hear you enjoyed Mr Penumbra - I thought it was a wonderful little adventure!

Ti said...

Sounds like you guys celebrated the bday just right. Sounds perfect but you forgot the funniest part, how she flew out of that restaurant to see The Walking Dead. LOL.

Last night's episode was a tough one on many levels. Gosh, I love that show.

Literary Feline said...

What an amazing birthday dinner! It sounds like your daughter had a wonderful birthday overall.

I've heard great things about Wicked Girls and am so glad you loved it. I'll be adding it to my wish list.

I hope you have a great week, Sandy!

Jillian said...

Mr. Penumbra's bookstore was indeed charming. Loved it!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

That dinner sounds incredible! Penumbra's is so fun on audio too.

Anonymous said...

I finished the Hayder thinking it pubs in April, but now see it is May. Maybe I'll have recovered by then. Creeped me out.
Happy you liked Wicked Girls; Alex Marwood tweeted me after I reviewed it last year.
Lots to read! happy spring.

Marie Cloutier said...

OMG I love the idea of the cashmere shawls! That is very classy.

Anonymous said...

I love the time and effort (and $) for your daughter's birthday! She will remember the quality time with her mom forever.