Sunday, March 30, 2014

Sunday Salon: No Reading for the Obsessed

 So apparently there will be no reading for me until I've caught up with my TV binging.  When it's just my husband and I of an evening, we watch House of Cards (halfway through the 2nd season).  When my son joins the fray, we watch Game of Thrones (2 episodes away from end of second season).  And at all other times of my life, I am trying to get caught up on The Walking Dead (will finish season 2 today).  Says the person who never used to watch TV at all.  I've never imagined such entertainment.  I'm not sure if I will ever get caught up enough to be current, but I'm giving it my best.  Now if I could just find someone to share their HBO code with me to round things off...

Besides this serious distraction, I'm still dealing with sick kids. Specifically my son, whose health has now escalated to the point where I had to take him to a pediatric gastro.  Lots of fun testing coming up with that one.  I just hope we can get the answers we need to allow him to live a normal life sometime soon.

My neighbor, a guy who has been in poor health for as long as I've known him, passed this week.  He was his wife's caregiver, however, and his presence will devastate his family.  I have no idea how this will all affect our little three-house neighborhood.

So all of that plus volleyball, doctor appointments, and my husband's upcoming out of town trip to an annual convention has left me wildly distracted. I'm generally able to play an audio, but reading just IS NOT HAPPENING!

On audio, I finished "A Burnable Book" by Bruce Holsinger.  This was not the book I'd hoped for.  It was set in the middle ages, and while I love a good mystery, the language, the complicated plot and the real-life characters left me in the dust.  Hey, I finished it but I consider it an ineffective use of 14 hours of my time, despite Simon Vance's amazing narration.  I then launched into the 25-disc tome "Iron Curtain:  The Crushing of Eastern Europe" by Anne Applebaum.  This one may take me awhile but I find it fascinating, since my in-laws and husband lived through communism in Eastern Europe, and was nearly crushed themselves.

Print was a whole different matter.  I could not focus.  I got through about 30 pages of "The Expats" by Chris Pavone, in preparation for his arrival at the UCF Book Festival next weekend.  Uhhh, well, no.  I'm sure it is great, and I promise I will return to it.  So I hopped on over to "The Troop" by Nick Cutter, a nail-biting gross-fest, but I've made little progress on that too.  I just...need to finish Walking Dead.  Then I'll read.

I did go see "Divergent" with my daughter, despite the fact that the media over-saturated me with previews.  I liked the book well enough.  It was pretty two-dimensional, but loved Tris's fighter mentality and the chemistry between her and Four.  The director delivered these things in the movie, and therefore my expectations were met.  It isn't going to win any awards, but it is entertaining and the actor that plays Four is smoking hot.  I'm hoping that maybe my son and I will zip out today to see "The Grand Budapest Hotel", the latest masterpiece by Wes Anderson.  That is what I am really excited about.

So will I make progress with "The Troop" today?  Maybe.  I don't have much planned.  Let's hope for the best.    



15 comments:

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Wow, as usual you have never a dull moment in your life! I have been tv binging a bit too, catching up on The Americans. As of last night, I'm all caught up now. When Jim comes back, we'll start binging on the Cosmos series. We are already doing catch-up on Md Men starting with Season One - one a night!

Anonymous said...

I LOVED the book Divergent and the movie lived up to my expectations. You're right, Four is totally hot. Great casting there!

Trisha said...

I'm glad to hear Four is hot; I was a bit worried about that. :)

I hope your son feels better, the newest Anderson movie always gets me going, and my DVR has over 400 shows saved on it because I love tv and now have no time to watch. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear your son is still having trouble - I pray the gastroenterologist will have some answers for you.

I'm looking forward to seeing Divergent when it comes to our little town!

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

We went through the whole gastro testing thing with our youngest just recently. We narrowed things down to either a wheat allergy or dairy allergy. Thankfully the celiac panel was negative, and we just have a lactose intolerance issue to deal with. What the heck do you eat when you can't eat wheat?? I hope you get some answers for your son soon; it's very frustrating when a child is sick and nobody knows why :(
I read the Expats a while back...it was good, but not riveting :p
I haven't jumped into the Divergent books...not sure I want another addiction :P
Now Walking Dead...that's another story. My husband says, "How the heck can you watch that??" I finally caught up yesterday and am on track to watch the season finale tonight!!!

Nise' said...

Hope you find quick answers for your son. Saw Divergent, enjoyed it too. Theo James is gorgeous, but is not Four for me. I can't talk my hubby into renewing HBO for GoT.

Literary Feline said...

I hope you are able to get answers regarding your son's health soon--and that the fix is easy.

I have my tv obsessed moments. don't watch a lot of television, but since I so rarely get to watch the shows I do like to follow when they air live, I usually binge watch when I do have the time. It feels then like all I do is watch television. Unfortunately, most of the shows I like aren't shows I would want a three year old to see--so I can't watch when my daughter is around.

I really liked the Divergent movie. I had my reservations, at first.

Have a good week!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

You are watching so many great TV shows!!! We just watched the seasone 4 finale if Walking Dead, so good!

Iliana said...

Sandy with all that you have going on I'm amazed you have time to read at all. We try not to watch a lot of tv either but sometimes when you are tired after a long day that's the only thing you feel like doing. And, there are actually some good shows out there. Anyway, I feel so bad for you neighbor. And, I hope your son has a good gastro appointment and they get him all healthy again!

Anonymous said...

Well, that was quite a week. I' sorry to hear about your neighbor and I hope your son is back up to speed soon.

I'm not watching any of the current shows you mention, I've given up on all three actually two of them mid season. But I am re-watching both Twin Peaks and The X-files, loving them both. And, yes, they have taken away a lot of my reading time.

The TBR Dare ends today, so we're off to the bookstore!!!

Ti said...

So he's still battling the stomach problems? When will you know?

The TV stuff is crazy. Now that I am done with TWD for this season, I am focusing on Bates Motel which is all kinds of crazy but on a smaller, more watchable scale. Season 2 is in full swing and I think season one was only like, six episodes so if you want to add this one to the mix, you can fit in it (right!).

Sorry to hear about your neighbor.

stacybuckeye said...

I am very familiar with gastro peds. I love the one we use for Gage, but gastro stuff is often so hard to pinpoint. We still have Gage on Zantac because we haven't found another solution. 3 is too young to be on that crap.
Good luck finding the answers and help you need.

Melody said...

I hope your son gets better soon!

I've been watching too much dramas and neglecting my reading, so I know how you feel. ;)

I still not sure if I want to watch Divergent, since I've yet to read the books so we shall see.

Laurie C said...

I've been watching less TV lately, but it hasn't seemed to give me more reading time somehow! I have The Troop on audio that I'm supposed to review, but I almost forgot. I'm so behind, I think I'm starting to give up on ever keeping up. Hope the doctors figure out what's going on with your son! TV is easier than reading when you have so much going on in your life, so don't feel guilty!

Beth F said...

We haven't started season 2 of House of Cards yet ... we got hooked on Friday Night Lights and are just starting Season 2 of that. The new season of Game of Thrones is starting this weekend -- I can't wait! Hope you get answers for your son.